THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO TREATING LICE IN KIDS: TIPS AND STRATEGIES
Head lice infestations are more common than people often think. There are an estimated 6 to 12 million cases each year, and they occur mostly in children who attend school and are in close contact with other kids. Despite how common head lice are, many parents are still unsure of how to treat them.It doesn’t help that there’s a lot of misinformation out there as well. Many people still assume that head lice are a sign of being dirty, and this causes families to hide them, which can actually make head lice cases in schools and communities worse! In reality, head lice like all types of hair and have nothing to do with being clean or dirty.
To help clear up confusion and guide parents in the right direction, we’ve put together the ultimate guide on how to treat lice in kids.
Think Your Child Has Lice? Here’s How to Do a Lice Check:Regular checks are a good way to spot lice before they have time to multiply. Here at My Hair Helpers, we recommend doing lice checks once a week. The more you get used to doing them, the easier they will become!
Here are the steps to doing a lice check
Step 1: Gather your supplies.
Start by gathering the supplies you need:
- Magnifying glass
- Bright light, such as the light from your phone
- Fine-tooth head lice comb
- Paper towels
- Toy or book for distraction for your child
Seat your child in a well-lit room, preferably after their bath or shower when their hair is still wet. It’s important that you’re able to see well so that you can distinguish potential head lice from something else like dandruff or hairspray droplets.Step 3: Comb through your child’s hair in small sections.
Part your child’s hair and go section by section checking for head lice. Lice move quickly, so it helps to wipe the comb on a paper towel. Nits stick to the hair, while things like dandruff will fall off easily.
Tips & Strategies for Applying Head Lice TreatmentIf your child has a confirmed case of head lice, you can move forward with treatment. We do not recommend using store-bought products, as many contain harsh chemicals that can irritate the skin. My Hair Helpers has a full line of natural products that treat and prevent lice.
Here’s how to use our lice treatment products:
- Start by mixing together My Hair Helpers conditioner and water in a spray bottle. Wet your child’s hair thoroughly and prepare the hair by combing it through with a large comb.
- Use My Mousse Enzyme to loosen the glue from the eggs. This will make it easier to remove nits. Then apply My Head Lice Removal Oil to suffocate the lice. Our products are natural and smell great!
- Begin combing at the ear (this is where lice like to lay their eggs) using a lice comb. Comb and wipe the comb on a paper towel. Go over and over the same spots so you don’t miss anything. Do the back separately. Then go up the opposite way.
- Once the treatment is complete, your child will be lice free! We do recommend a second treatment about a week later just in case any nits were missed the first time.
- Prevention is also key! We suggest using head lice prevention products to keep your child lice free. This includes our lice spray, shampoo and conditioner.
We hope this information has helped you better prepare for treating your child with head lice. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to My Hair Helpers! For purchasing, visit our Shop tab or place your order on Amazon. We offer family-friendly pricing and fast shipping!